Friday, December 31, 2010

Westbrook's Birth


I need to record this for my memory, hope it is not boring. But I think that giving birth is so amazing and special and I don't want to forget it.


I had an appointment on the tuesday before his birth. This was the 2nd time the doc stripped my membranes. That day I had a ton of contractions and I thought for sure it was time. About 11 that night they stopped. I was so disappointed. Not much happened wednesday so thursday I called to see if they would just strip my membranes again. They did in the afternoon, that day I had contractions pretty regularly and made 2 trips to my rec center to walk around the track. I walked and walked and I think it helped. Friday morning they were still coming. I went to the gym that morning and walked for about an hour and a half. When I got home I told Rhett we should just go and see if this was the real thing, I wasn't in a ton of pain so I wasnt sure.

We got to the hospital at about 10:30. I got checked in and dressed and then about 11:15 or so they checked me and hooked me up. I was a 4+ they said and almost all the way effaced. Kinda disappointed I wasn't dilated more but they kept me so I was happy. I started talking to my nurse about the epidural. I told her I was super nervous because of my rash last time from the tape, and how that was the worst part of recovery. The anesthesiologist came in and told me we had a few options, we could try paper tape or a one time epidural shot that lasts 2 hours about, but you can't get more so it may wear off before you are ready. I told them I was just going to see how long I could go without it and hopefully make it all the way. They broke my water about 1 or so, I wasn't good at looking at the time. I was a 5 then and as soon as the did that the contractions got crazy intense. I tried sitting in a different position on the bed almost on my knees with my arms holding the top of the bed. I only made it through like 3 contractions like that, it was the worst pain I have ever felt. The contractions were so strong and so painful I was starting to doubt I could make it. To top it off there was a women across the hall screaming at the top of her lungs having a natural child birth. So about 2 I think I said hurry and get the epidural here, I want it. Sitting through that was so hard. It felt like it was time to push. I could barely sit still, I was thinking the baby was coming out for sure. As soon as he was done I laid back down, I asked my mom and sister to make sure the baby wasn't coming out. The epidural was not really kicking in like I remember the first time. They checked me a few minutes after I got it and I was a 9+. I was like yeah, I think I am going to push.

The doctor was there so fast, he poked his head in and said do I have time to change? The nurse told him to hurry. Like a minute later he was back. As I was pushing I see Tara pull a face and say what is that, then the doctor said it to, I was like what the heck. West was face up and we didn't know it. Ever was the same way. So his face was a little bruised when he came out. I pushed 3 times I guess, that's what they said and my beautiful baby was here and perfect. We were all saying, oh he is so little, the nurse and the doctor said, oh no he is big. My mom guessed his weight exactly.

It happened so fast. Sometimes I feel like I really should have tried a little harder, I only had about 30 minutes left to go, but they didn't check me before the epidural so I didn't know I was already to a 9. I also feel that they should have sound proof rooms, hearing that lady screaming really freaked me out. But I am glad it all went well and we are both fine. That was seriously the most intense pain I have ever felt, but I think it is so cool that your body just knows what to do and you can feel the baby coming down and I loved every minute of it, even though it hurt!! I have so much respect for women who go all natural, that is amazing and takes a lot of concentration and endurance, it is super intense. I couldn't ask for a better experience though, Ever's labor was 6 hours, Westbrooks was about 3, I guess if we decide to have more maybe it will only be an hour or so!!! haha!!!

Thanks for Tara and my mom for being in the room with me. I am sorry I wasn't pleasant at all.










We told them we wanted to go home as soon as we could. He was born at 2:36 on friday and we went home at 2:30 on saturday.

He is seriously the best little man. All along I said I hope he looks just like Rhett, he couldn't look more like his dad. It is so sweet. I love the nights with him, he only wakes up 2 times, and it is our time. I seriously couldn't have a better baby. Having a boy kinda made me nervous. I was thinking will I love it the same I do a girl, will I have to be tougher or not as sweet, but he melts my heart and I can't get enough of him. I am so grateful to have 2 healthy and happy kids, they are the best!

And thanks to everyone that came to visit. I have pictures of that I will post soon. And thanks to marci and my in laws for helping with Ever!!! She had a blast!

6 comments:

Jessica Kunz said...

You look so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story. Child birth is the best, now you are making me want another baby. Oh no! I can't wait to meet him.

Heather Stott said...

oh nic he is perfect, I love reading birth stories. I LOVE the labor and delivery part too even though it hurts! every time I here of someone getting pregnant I am instantly a little jelous that they get to go through the labor and delivery part of it! I get so excited for that! it is the best part! I hope I can meet the little guy soon! you look amazing btw!

Lindsey Lee said...

Oh boy...it makes me excited and nervous for yet another labor. Im glad it was so quick for you and that you have a cute little healthy boy! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went okay. Your baby already looks like his daddy! You look great!

Camie said...

What a great story...you are a trooper. I can't believe you lasted as long as you did. He is beautiful.

Jake and Jarica said...

so did your epidural have time to kick in? With my 1st baby I got my epidural too late...like you, I didn't know how dilated I was. I felt everything, and it was intense! It didn't help that Lincoln was 9.6 lbs!!
I agree that they need sound proof walls. When you hear people screaming next to you it totally freaks you out!
I love how much he looks like Rhet. He is so cute...congrats!!